Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Personal stories and More!!

I thought it would be neat to share with you the numbers of learners we have seen and the glasses we have given out. When we meet with a child, we first develop a relationship. I usually start out with: How do you like school? What is your favorite class? Least favorite class? Do you live with your mother and father? Do you have any brothers and sisters? Many of the learners either only live with one parent because the either has died from AIDS or has taken off to another place. Some the children did not even know their father. None of the children will admit that their parents died of AIDs...they will say...they died of a sickness. Then their are other children that don't have any parents and are orphans. I love asking if they have any brothers or sisters because I get to explain how BIG my family is!! Most of them smile and laugh!!! Yet others are so depressed and all you can do is pray for them. Death is so common here and so is sex. As soon as I have developed that relationship, I talk to them about HIV/AIDS by using a Cube. It is a handy cube that has pictures on it to keep the kids attention. I go on and talk about how God created sex for marriage and that it is a gift. Some of them just looked at me. Doc said the easiest way to find out if they are sexually active is ask them if they have ever used a condom. So I do just that!! One young man admitted to using a condom but when I later asked if he was sexually active he blushed and said no no. HA! I caught him!! So I talk about absitance and reassure them that God can give them a second chance. I give every learner that I meet with a Book of Hope. Many say they go to church...yes they do...but there is a growing church...Zion Christian Church that has really twisted Christianity. They believe in Jesus and his resurrection but they believe they get powers from their ancestors. They also believe that they must make themselves vomit to get all the demons out of them. The thing that bothers me the most about this country and nation is that they are so open to anything! They will join a church and will not understand the truth! It is so sad!! So when I ask if they go to a church many say yes but then I ask which church and find out it is Zion. I make sure they know that power only comes from Jesus!!!! I have led many to the Lord. There was this one boy who was 13 but look 9 years old. I asked him if he had heard of Jesus and he said no. I talked with him about Christmas and Easter and his eyes lit up!!! They think it is sooo cool that Jesus rose from the dead!! he he :) So after I tested his eyes and got his prescription ready, I asked if there was anything he wanted me to talk to God about. He said that he wanted Jesus in his heart and pointed to his heart. I had not even asked him that question yet. I always ask the learners if they have Jesus in their heart but he was one step ahead of me!!! So I lead him in the sinners prayer. What was the neatest thing was that he could not speak English but only Sutu. So I had to have a translator. Even though there was a language barrier, God does amazing things!!!! As soon as I am done with the learner, I take them to Dispensary so they can get their glasses. If only you can see them when they get them. They are so happy!!! I am trying to take pictures of all my learners. I am sure glad I brought an extra memory card because I can only take about 40 more pictures left on my one. I have over 200 pictures already and two videos.

No comments: